Oh how I LOVE water based chores! LOVE LOVE LOVE! (lucky me, means I’m always on top of the washing).
But I’m not so keen on the whole putting clothes away thing (or dusting).
Remember, washing, like many other projects, can be broken down into a number of different tasks: gather, sort, wash, dry, fold, iron. It’s easy to think washing is just putting it into the machine: wrong. Complete the cycle each time before starting a new load and you’ll feel less overwhelmed.
Washing tips to help you get organised:
- Have a default load for the washing machine, so items can go straight in. For example, darks/colours could be your default load, whites separate, delicates separate, towels separate. When your default load is full, get the machine to do your dirty work.
- If you don’t have a regular routine, make Wednesday the day you give all the washing your full attention.
- Never let your washing grow beyond 6 loads! If you get to 6 loads, complete a load a day until you catch up. 6 loads or more means a trip to the laundromat so you can catch up quickly.
- Use the TV ad breaks (a whole 3 minutes!) to fold, put away etc. Family can put away their own clothing, and one of the kids can put away towels and linen.
- It goes without saying that you need a small container for pocket items (receipts, coins, tickets, etc) and a second small bag or basket for lost socks.
- If you hate ironing, outsource it! Have some collect and deliver your ironing for a month as a trial run… you may never go back.